Blockchain is an ever-growing collection of documents called blocks in a centralized database store. Each block contains a hash of the previous block and the timestamp. Thus in testing, blockchain testing is essential.
Features of Blockchain
Decentralized system: Beneficial in various industries like finance, real estate, etc.
Better security: Uses various nodes for completing and authenticating transactions.
Authenticity: Allows unit algorithm for processing data.
Increase capacity: Increases the capacity of the entire framework.
Types of Blockchain
There are three types of blockchain:
Consortium blockchain: Various organizations will have access and authority over the network. It is a fully decentralized system.
Public blockchain: Everyone has access to the network and could take part in consensus in this type of blockchain is that thing also it is a decentralized system.
Private blockchain: Only single organizations will have access to them over the network. It is a partially decentralized system.
Also Read: Testing Strategies For Blockchain Projects
Main Components of a Blockchain
Following are the main components:
1. Node Application
Each node should be built and run on the ecosystem they want to engage in a computer application.
2. Shared Ledger
A data structure is managed inside the node application. Contents for the ecosystem could be viewed once the node application is running.
3. Consensus Algorithm
The consensus algorithm is implemented as a part of the node application that provides the rules of the game for how the ecosystem will be arriving at a single view of the ledger.
4. Virtual Machine
Abstraction of machines operated with instructions and implemented as part of the node application that every participant in the ecosystem runs.
Advantages of Blockchain
1. Time-saving: Transaction time is reduced from days to minutes by blockchain. The transaction solution is faster as it doesn’t demand verification by a central authority.
2. Cost-effective: Blockchain transactions are less handling, and participants are allowed to exchange items of values directly. A blockchain removes the application of effort because participants will have access to a shared ledger.
Improve safety: Protection against theft and cybercrime in Blockchain.
Challenges in Blockchain Testing
1. Understanding the technology: Blockchain is a very new technology, and learning the technology with domain knowledge is essential in blockchain application testing.
2. Lack of blockchain tools: Blockchain-based applications testing is all about tools. Selecting the correct tool as per application is one of the essential decisions.
3. Defining test strategy: Like any other application, designing a test strategy for blockchain applications is essential. It is one of the biggest challenges as the test strategy demands in-depth knowledge and understanding of the technology and application.
4. Block, and chain size: Adjacent to standard blockchain tools and the best practices in place setting for block size and chain size is also significant. Blockchain applications could fail without proper validation of block size and change size.
5. Integration testing: As there are multiple components involved in blockchain application testing, integration testing should be performed properly and frequently for testing that all the components are properly integrated for avoiding any failures.
6. Performance and load: Feeling to test for performance and load testing provides little or no insight into how the blockchain application performs in both productions and under particular workload and network conditions.
Security: Securing the data should be the most significant part of the blockchain application. A blockchain could be part of different sectors like health, finance, etc. Any spiteful attack could impact the blockchain application.
Phases of Blockchain Testing
Below are the phases of blockchain testing:
1. Initialization Phase
Understanding the blockchain architecture: you should understand and analyze the business and its functional requirements in this phase. It describes the behavior of the application and how the user will interact with the application.
Full test strategy designing: You can describe the testing approach for testing an application during this phase. It should be performed in detail so that every objective is covered fully.
2. Design Phase
Test case creation:
The QA team will write the test cases proper steps in this phase. Business analysts review these test cases.
Test data creation:
The test data is created or extracted from the previous environment against business requirements in this phase. The test data could be created manually or using automation tools.
The testing environment is configured as the requirement for business or application.
The information is represented in terms of the performance of the application, a system of the components in performance metrics.
3. Testing Phase
You can ensure that interaction between applications in the blockchain ecosystem is as expected in API testing.
To ensure a good partnership, all blocks in the network should be independently reviewed.
You compare the work of different functional sections of the blockchain in functional testing (e.g., smart contracts).
Details such as block size, network size, transaction size expectations, and the time it takes for a question to return the performance from the advanced authentication protocol
It should be ensured that the program is vulnerable to threats, and the system can defend the information and handle malicious attacks, etc.
You should ensure that the elements of the program are correctly implemented and that the activities take place adequately in integration testing.
Smart Contract Testing:
Smart Contract Testing focuses on carrying out comprehensive enterprise logical and method practical testing.
4. Report Phase
Project report summary:
Describe the project information synopsis, project dates, expense, and task information
Smart contract testing study:
This report provides information on the processing of smart contracts, data, and laws
Security testing report:
Displays vulnerable data in a structured client and superior management paper. The report includes the date of testing, test data, and the summary of identified vulnerabilities.
Document for Performance Testing:
This report contains descriptions of application performance such as speed, scalability, confidentiality, etc.
Key Testing Types on Blockchain Application
Following are the testing types on blockchain:
1. Functional Testing
In Blockchain testing, functional testing plays a key role in evaluating the needs, processes, and efficiency of applications on the market. The elements below which can be checked in practical testing:
- Size of the block and the string
2. A block is added
3. Testing of data transfer integration
2. Integration Testing
In different environments, Blockchain implementation works. Therefore, inter-system relations are essential to evaluate.3.
3. Performance Testing
Helps in advance detect bottlenecks in hardware and applications. It will also allow you to determine the possible costs for running the software in the cloud or elsewhere.
4. Node Testing
To ensure seamless cooperation, all diverse Network nodes must be checked independently.
5. API Testing
Application programming interface measures the relationship in the blockchain environment between applications. API testing guarantees correct formatting and operation of requests and replies.
Also Read: Understanding Blockchain Application And Its 6 Popular Tools