A software bug is a defect, failure, error, or fault in computer software or system that makes it deliver unexpected or incorrect results. A software bug could also be understood as an error in the software or an app’s programming. Bugs could cause problems ranging from security issues to operation problems and are usually caused due to human errors during the programming process.
They may result from a mistake or an error or stem from a fault or defect. Software bugs should be caught up during the initial phase of the software development life cycle, but some may be left undetected until after deployment. So, the question here arises is how to find bugs in website?
How to Find Bugs in Websites and Correct Them?
There are six pages in the software development life cycle, and testing is one of the most crucial faces. Testing should occur after the design phase, and it should occur during the overall development process, and after the design and development have been formally completed. A strong testing solution is required to verify that all functions and features of the software are operating as they are supposed to and that the software or app and yours to be stable during the operation. During the testing period, bugs are usually identified and fixed. Nevertheless, it is often the case that sometimes but are not discovered during the testing phase. This could be because of the software being used so that the development team did not expect results in a crash or incorrect operation.
Suppose the customer discovers a software bug during use and a fix could be developed then distributed during the maintenance phase of the software or the web application. Do developers have access to a very wide range of solutions that could help them in identifying how to find bug in e-commerce website? Whether we are developing a website for our personal use, the website must remain bug-free for our customers for our organization. A bug in our application will reduce the usability of our website and affect our reputation as a developer. In this article, we are going to discuss some essential checklist that will enable us to employ a bug-free application in production:
Here are the different tips to find the bugs your websites:
Mobile Ready Test
Since most people use mobile devices for accessing websites, for expanding the target audience, our website must be fully active and compatible with mobile devices and browsers.
- Set up a list of devices on which our application should run correctly by researching through Google analytics.
- We can also use mobile device emulator extensions in the browser for testing our application.
- If our project’s budget is large, we can provide our testing team perfume handheld methods of a separate operating system to make real-time testing possible. Sense emulators often miss specific bugs.
- Ensure there are no horizontal scrolling, fonts, and readable and touch-friendly buttons; content and images are large enough for being understood on a small screen.
- W3C has come up with a series of guidelines and examples that companies and individuals must comply with before starting their web applications.
- The guidelines indicate that the application should be accessible by special people with disabilities.
- Test whether our website complies with section 508, ADA, and other guidelines.
- Run scalability testing for ensuring that the website is readable images on fonts are zoomed in.
- A screen reader test should be performed to ensure that people with poor vision could navigate the page using a screen reader.
- The website should be navigable with the use of a keyboard only.
- Captions should be involved in media content to ensure people with hearing disabilities could understand the audio and video content.
General HTML and CSS Checking
- We should ensure that our html or XHTML code is error-free by verifying it using W3C markup validation; the world wide web consortium is an official validator tool.
- There are many other tools like HTML tidy, Google webmaster tools, etc. That could search how to find bugs in code for duplicate meta tags, broken links, missing titles, or different kinds of website bugs examples.
- CSS validation service provided by W3C could be utilized to find out any error or compile a violation in your CSS.
- After the code has been checked, a recommended tool could be used as a CSS compressor. It will minify the file by bringing the entire how to find bugs in code into a single line; for a large page with thousands of CSS lines, this tool code speed up the loading time.
Security Testing for Website Login
- If our website deals with online shopping, banking, or any other activity where user data is required to be kept private, security testing is crucial by using tools to find bugs in website.
- We should always make sure the account lockout after multiple entries of incorrect password or user ID.
- Automatic login should be prevented through techniques like OTP verification or CAPTCHA while logging in.
- Always set encryption of cookies and cache.
- Once the user locks out or presses the back button, the browsing session has expired.
Also read: Essential Features Of A Website
Performance Testing of the Application
Apart from usability and security, our work application should be able to withstand the load. Websites are very often observed to crash when the internet traffic increases all of a sudden.
- Rest testing should be executed to find out how the site behaves when the workload increases.
- Login sessions should be stimulated if multiple users can execute currency testing for finding out whether the site functions normally or not.
- Execute endurance testing for checking the performance of the website when it faces workloads beyond its limit.
- Always check the loading time of the application under low network coverage.
Beta Testing by Real Users
- The final phase of testing when the website is to be launched on a platform where users could use it and test it for errors.
- Beta testing is very important since users navigate the site and discover any left out weak points from their perspective.
- Our testing team should follow a set of rules for performing unit testing by using different tools to find bugs in websites. Real users should often think out of the box and should spot any error that may have been missed by the testing team.
So, there was a brief elaboration on how to find bugs in website. Apart from all the testing as mentioned above scenarios, documentation testing is also a vital process for checking whether the website follows all the required specifications and business logic as demanded by the client. Our application has passed, or the test case scenarios with all the high priority website bugs examples fix could be deployed into production and we also came to know how to find bug in e-commerce website.
Also read: 5 Most Common Website Bugs