Web testing or website testing is a simple process for checking your web application or website for any authorized or unwanted potential bugs that may occur before it's made live and accessible to people. Website testing ensures the web application or website in terms of functionality, usability, security, compatibility, and performance of the Website before going live.
This emerged as website testing jobs as big companies are hiring freshers and companies to test their websites under certain parameters by making their web live. Knowing that Website Testing is an essential part of any Web-based project, it has been estimated to see a great rise in this field.
Website testing checklist for web apps
During the process, there are certain things are taken care of, such as web application security, site functionality, accessibility for handicapped and regular users, and traffic handling capacity are examined. Here is all that you need to know about.
Functionality Testing of a website
As stated by the name itself, Functionality Testing refers to a process that includes different testing criteria such as user interface, APIs, database testing, security testing, client and server testing for a website. Functional testing is considered to be very convenient as it allows users to perform both manual and automated testing (automate website testing) that checks the functionality of each feature on the website loaded.
Some of the website testing tools for Functionality testing are QTP, IBM Rational, Selenium.
Usability testing feature is one of the vital parts of any web-based project as it can easily be carried out by general people that includes small scale groups or small Focus groups similar to that of the targeted audience aiming for.
Some of the website testing tools for usability testing are Chalkmark, Clicktale, Clixpy, and Feedback Army.
The interface testing process is one of the important Website Testing features which is generally to test three important features of a website that includes application, web, and database server.
Let us know a little detail about the same.
- Application: Test queries are delivered to the database correctly, and output is shown correctly on the client-side. If there are any errors, they must be caught by the application and only the administrator should be notified.
- Web: Test web server refers to handling all the application request that has been sent without any service denial.
- Database Server: The database server is there to make sure that queries that are there and have been sent to the database give out the expected results.
Some of the website Testing tools for Interface testing are AlertFox, Ranorex.
The database is a vital component of any web application that must be extensively tested. The following lists below are the part of the testing process:
- Database Testing is to see if any issues appear while queries are being run.
- When creating, updating, or deleting data in a database, data integrity is preserved.
- Examine query response times and fine-tune them if necessary.
- In your web application, test data retrieved from your database is displayed correctly.
Some of the website Testing tools for Database testing are QTP, Selenium.
Compatibility testing makes sure that your website application is displayed correctly across all the available different devices that include laptops, phones, iPad, PCs, etc. Compatibility testing could be done using a feature called browser compatibility test where the same website in different browsers will display differently. You must make sure that your online application looks well in all browsers and also see if your browser is compatible with mobile devices.
With every change in the Kernel of the Operating System, the exhibition of web elements such as buttons, text fields, and so on keeps changing. Make sure your website is compatible with a variety of operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and Mac, as well as browsers like Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. The website testing tool for compatibility testing is NetMachine.
Performance Testing is basically to ensure that the Website works smoothly under all easy and tough conditions. Activities for software testing will include the following:
- To check the Response times for website applications accordingly with different connection speeds.
- To test your web application under different levels and loads to see how it reacts and performs.
- Run a stress test on your website to see where it breaks when subjected to higher-than-normal loads during peak hours.
- Determine how quickly the site recovers from a crash caused by peak traffic.
- To reduce load times, make sure optimization techniques like gzip compression, browser, and server-side cache are enabled.
Some of the website Testing tools for Performance testing are Loadrunner, Jmeter
Security Testing are For e-commerce websites that handle sensitive client information such as credit cards, security testing is essential. The following activities listed below are part of the testing process:
- To Verify that unwanted access to secure pages is not allowed.
- Unauthorized users should not be able to download restricted files.
- Once the process is done, check sessions are automatically terminated ASAP.
- When SSL certificates are being used, the website should immediately redirect to SSL pages that are encrypted.
Some of the website Testing tools for Security testing are Babel Enterprise, BFBTester, and CROSS
You may choose a huge group of people (crowd) to run tests that would otherwise be run by a small group of employees in the company. Crowdsourced testing is a novel and fascinating concept that has the potential to reveal several faults that were previously overlooked.
Besides this website testing checklist, there are still a number of Website Testing Tools that you all should know and they are:
- test IO
- Avo Assure
- Bird Eats Bug
Now that you have acknowledged a brief idea about what website testing means and why there is a need for web testing before any website goes live; incorporate the benefits of web testing. Hoping that this write-up came up to be useful to you with knowledge about everything related to website testing from important tools to functionality.