What is Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC) 
The Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC) is a set of unique tasks designed to assure that software quality targets are met during the evaluation process. STLC requires both the activities of authentication and testing. Software Testing is not just a single/isolated process, i.e. testing, contrary to common opinion. It comprises a collection of scientifically carried out exercises to help validate the software product. The pattern and ability of research are evolving. To be more professional and process-oriented, testers are now needed. Not only is testing now limited to detecting bugs, but it has a broader reach and is needed right from the start of the project when the specifications are not even finalized.
You cannot reach the next step in an ideal environment until the exit conditions for the previous stage are met. But this is not always technically feasible. So we will concentrate on tasks and deliverables for the various stages in the life cycle of STLC for this tutorial. In each Software Testing Life Cycle Model (STLC Model), there are six main phases:
Let’s take a thorough look at each of them.
1. Requirement Phase Testing
Requirement Phase Testing is often referred to as Requirements Specification wherein the testing team examines the specifications to define testable requirements from a testing viewpoint and the QA team may work with different stakeholders to comprehend the requirements in depth. There may be either functional or non-functional specifications. In this process, automation viability is also done for the testing project.
Activities Testing in Requirement Process
- Identify the forms of exams to be carried out.
- Gather information about the goals and focus of research.
- RTM (Requirement Traceability Matrix) planning.
- Identify the specifics of the test area where testing should be carried out.
- Feasibility analysis of automation.
Deliverables of testing of requirement process
- The RTM
- Feasibility report for automation.
2. Test Planning in STLC
Test Planning in STLC is a stage in which the test plan approach along with efforts and estimated costs for the project is decided by a Senior QA manager. It also specifies the assets, the standard solution, the limitations of the test, and the testing plan. In the same process, the Test Plan is prepared and finalized. Besides, it also specifies the resources, the test environment, the limitations of the test, and the testing plan. In the same process, the Test Plan is prepared and finalized.
Activities for Detailed Testing
- Test plan/strategy document planning for different forms of research
- Selection of Evaluation Method
- Estimation of Test effort
- Planning for capital and deciding tasks and obligations.
- Requirement for instruction
Test planning deliverables
- Report on test plan/strategy.
- Report for calculation of effort.
3. The phase of Test Case Development
After the test plan is ready, the Test Case Development Process includes designing, checking, and reworking test cases & test scripts. The test data is initially recognized, then generated and checked, and then reworked based on the preconditions. Then the QA team begins the process of production of test cases for specific units.
Test Case Development Activities
- Build test cases, scripts for automation
- Test cases and scripts for analysis and baseline
- Creating test data (if there is a test environment)
Test Case Development Deliverables
- Cases of testing/scripts
- Test data
If you want to learn about Testing Life Cycle in Agile, you can learn from this post.
4. Setup of Test Environment
The software and hardware conditions under which a work product is tested are decided by the Test Environment Configuration. It is one of the essential aspects of the research process which can be carried out in tandem with the production stage of the test case. The test team will not be involved in this operation if the test environment is created by the development team. A readiness inspection (smoke testing) of the given environment is required by the test team.
Activities Test Environment Setup
- Understand the appropriate design, configuration of the environment, and preparation of the Test Environment requirement list for hardware and software.
- Environment and Test Data Configuration Test
- Perform the building smoke test
Test Environment Configuration Deliverables
- Environment ready for the set-up of test data
- Smoke Test Outcomes.
5. Step of Test Execution
The Test Execution Process is carried out by the testers in which the software construct testing is conducted based on test plans and planned test cases. The method consists of the execution of test scripts, maintenance of test scripts, and reporting of bugs. If errors are found, then it is returned to the development team for correction and re-testing.
Activities of Test Execution
- Perform screenings as per schedule
- Results of paper checks, and log defects for failed cases
- Map defects in RTM to test cases
- Retest the corrections for the defect
- Track closure defects
Evaluate Execution deliverables
- Completed RTM with status for execution
- Updated test cases, with findings
- Reports on faults
6. Closure of Test Cycle
The Test Cycle Closure stage is the end of the execution of the test, which includes many tasks such as documentation of the completion of the test, a compilation of test completion matrices, and test results. To identify methods that must be adopted in the future, research team members meet, evaluate, and examine testing objects, taking lessons from the current test cycle. For future test cycles, the idea is to eliminate process bottlenecks.
Activities for test cycle closure
- Time-based assessment of cycle completion requirements, test coverage, expense, software, essential business objectives, quality
- Based on the above criteria, prepare your test metrics.
- Record the learning from the project
- Prepare the closure report for the exam
- Qualitative and quantitative reporting to the client of the standard of the working product.
- Analysis of the test outcome to find out the distribution of the defect by form and severity.
Test Cycle Closure deliverable
- Report on Test Closure
- Metrics test
Thus, STLC is an important part of the Life Cycle of Software Creation. However, STLC only deals with the stages of research. It begins as soon as specifications are identified or stakeholders share the SRD (Software Requirement Document). To ensure quality software, STLC offers a step-by-step procedure. The developers are ready with test cases and proceed with execution as soon as the development process is finished. In the initial process, this helps to identify bugs.
Defect Life Cycle In Software Testing
Our Popular Articles